Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd, two of the world’s leading shipping companies, have announced a ground-breaking partnership known as the ‘Gemini Cooperation.’ Set to commence in February 2025, this collaboration aims to redefine ocean network services through enhanced flexibility, reliability, and sustainability.

Strategic Partnership for Enhanced Services

The Gemini Cooperation: Beginning in February 2025, the Gemini Cooperation represents a long-term operational collaboration between Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd. This initiative is poised to deliver a more flexible and interconnected ocean network with industry-leading reliability​​​​.

Fleet Composition and Capacity: The cooperation will see a combined fleet pool of around 290 vessels, offering a total capacity of 3.4 million TEU (Twenty-Foot Equivalent Units). Maersk will deploy 60% of this fleet, while Hapag-Lloyd will contribute the remaining 40%, ensuring a balanced and robust presence across global shipping routes​​​​.

Focus on Decarbonisation and Reliability

Commitment to Sustainability: Both companies are dedicated to decarbonising their fleets, aligning with ambitious industry sustainability targets. Maersk aims for net-zero emissions by 2040, and Hapag-Lloyd targets 2045, showcasing their commitment to environmental stewardship and responsible maritime operations​​.

High Schedule Reliability: A key objective of the Gemini Cooperation is to achieve above 90% schedule reliability once the network is fully operational. This target underscores the partnership’s commitment to customer satisfaction and service excellence​​.

Leadership Perspectives

Rolf Habben Jansen, CEO of Hapag-Lloyd: Emphasising the benefits of the partnership, Jansen states, “Teaming up with Maersk will help us to further boost the quality we deliver to our customers. Additionally, we will benefit from efficiency gains in our operations and joint efforts to further accelerate the decarbonisation of our industry.”

Vincent Clerc, CEO of Maersk: Clerc highlights the strategic importance of the cooperation, noting, “By entering this cooperation, we will be offering our customers a flexible ocean network that will raise the bar for reliability in the industry. This will strengthen our integrated logistics offering and meet our customers’ needs.”


The Gemini Cooperation between Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd marks a significant milestone in the maritime industry, promising enhanced service quality, improved transit times, and a strong focus on sustainable shipping practices. This partnership not only strengthens the capabilities of both companies but also sets a new standard for operational excellence in the global shipping industry.

About Maersk and Hapag-Lloyd

Maersk: A global leader in logistics services, operating in over 130 countries with a fleet of approximately 700 vessels.

Hapag-Lloyd: One of the world’s leading liner shipping companies with a fleet of 264 modern container ships.

Have a Story to Share?

We at Nautical Digital Online are interested in your maritime, marine, and superyacht industry stories. Connect with us to share your insights.

Join Our Newsletter

Stay updated with the latest trends and news in the maritime sector. Subscribe to the Nautical Digital Online newsletter for ongoing updates and industry insights.

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *